Monday, June 17, 2013

More Fans Monday: Sirenia and UnSun

It's More Fans Monday! This means I get to show you a couple of bands that I enjoy that deserve more fans and more fame than they have.

This Monday, we'll be starting with Sirenia.

Sirenia is a metal band from Norway that started out in 2001. They're not widely known and they've seen numerous changes in band members (though not as much as The Crüxshadows, am I right? *nudge nudge*). Sirenia deserves more credit than they get for their brilliant mixing of gothic metal and symphonic metal (not to mention Ailyn's fantastic vocals and Morten Veland's catchy lyrics).

I remember discovering them back in 2009. I was sifting through YouTube for songs and bands that I hadn't yet heard of and stumbled on their video for "Path to Decay".  I was instantly hooked. Not only did the artsy goth visuals capture my attention, but Ailyn with her darkly beautiful costumes and her melodic singing had me mesmerized. When paired with the gritty, heavy music - they had a fan.

Props to them for still going strong after 12 years.

 


Next, let's talk about UnSun

They are a Polish group that started under the name of Unseen (2006) and formed around the guitarist, Mauser (Maurycy Stefanowicz) as a bit of a pet project. But fate had something else in mind. From the start, Mauser and the chosen vocalist, Aya (Anna Stefanowicz), had a dynamic bond. From their first rehearsal, they knew it was destiny - and the music they created together was otherworldly and beautiful. Soon, the band became a way for Mauser to explore new music and break new ground.

And break new ground they did. A perfect yin and yang, a merging of light and dark, their melodies, lyrics, and visuals are alarmingly breathtaking.

This band is one of my longest running favorites - discovered in 2008 through another late night internet session, UnSun blew my mind. It was the first time I'd heard music that actually gave me chills. I listened to their latest release, "Whispers", over and over that night and all throughout the month. It was a crisp, gray October and it couldn't have been more perfect. Now nearly five years later, I still listen to this song on gray days - my perfect, magical days.

One listen to them and you'll see why this band deserves more fans.



Happy "More Fans Monday!" Remember - it's never too late to poke around and discover the joy of new music!

The many member changes of The Crüxshadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment